Wednesday, October 4, 2017

AUGUST FAVORITES!

I don't know about you, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE favorite posts (and videos)!  Not sure why knowing what people like is so interesting, but it just IS.  With that in mind, I thought I would post my own favorites for the past month and I'd love to know what YOUR favorites were, too! Discovering new vegan items is the best thing ever...especially when you're in a slump.   Having something new to enjoy always helps to inspire me when I get into that "eh" zone.

So...here we go!

I.  MAKE-UP/SKINCARE

1.  100% Pure Nourishing Body Cream in Vanilla Bean (Omg...the most deliciously warm and sweet smelling lotion in the world!  Not greasy at all...just super moisturizing and lovely.  You won't be able to stop sniffing the top.  Seriously!)

2.  Andalou Naturals Goji Peptide Perfecting Cream (The smell is just amazing...I think it's the orange peel essential oil.  It makes me smile to put a smidge of this on my face every single night.  So cheerful, citrus-y and fruity!)

3.  HURRAW! Balm in Coconut (My fav of all vegan lip balms.  I love the shape of the container, the scents/flavors are just awesome and yummy and the formula is perfect - smooth, lightweight, moisturizing, silky, not too firm and never gritty!)

4.   100% Pure 2nd Skin Foundation (This is the nicest, smoothest, most featherweight, natural looking foundation I've ever used.  It's my go-to for wearing every day and it feels like I have nothing on my face at all.  The only problem I had is finding the right shade.  I'm half Chinese/half Italian and the shade 5 was too light and the shade 6 too dark.  Mixing both works well.)

5.  Andalou Naturals Beauty to Go (These sample/travel sizes of skin care are too amazing for words.  Not only do they work incredibly well, smell so fresh & lovely, but they last a long time!  A single pod of each lasted me at least 3 days of application - I used the Beauty is Sensitive Face Cream for the day and the Resveratrol Q10 Night Repair Cream for at night.  It says single use, but you only need a small amount for each application.)

6.  Pacifica Pink Nudes Mineral Eyeshadow (I don't usually wear eye shadow, but I bought this set to try out for my sister's wedding and the colors are just perfect.  I love that the shadows stay on all day and are really easy to apply with an eyeshadow brush.  I can't say enough about how nice these shades are for all occasions.  Highly recommended!) 

 7.  Red Apple Lipstick in Audrey (Another make up item I don't normally use, but I couldn't resist their creamy, vegan, allergen free formula!  I usually only wear lip balm, but this shade of lipstick just begged to be bought.  I have pinkish-purple lips naturally and it's very hard to find the right shade of "nude" for my lips.  I love the Audrey color so much (and also Audrey Hepburn!) and it goes really well with the lip liner in Natural, too!)


II.  RECIPES/FOOD

1.  African Peanut Stew by Oh She Glows (Our weekly favorite dinner...yum, yum, YUM!   So creamy, warm and satisfying.  My semi-carnivore hubby actually loves this stew, too!)

2.  Easy Vegan Split Pea Soup by Umami Girl (I added another 4 cups water and used 1/2 the amount of spices, but it is SO good!  Perfect for the fall!)

3.  Biena Chickpeas in Sea Salt (I try not to snack too often, but these crispy, salt chickpeas are heavenly!!  They almost satisfy my potato chip cravings!)

4.  Nourish Bowl with Sesame Sriracha (For a quick lunch, I love to make these!  Crunchy, filling, and delicious.   If you add extra veggies - broccoli or sprouts - and a bit of almond or peanut butter, it's the most delicious and quick meal!  I found the bowls at Hannaford supermarket, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere near you.)

5.  Smoothies!  (These are the recipes that I make every day.  Hope you like them!  So creamy, filling and chock full of healthy, nourishing whole foods!)

Raspberry Green Tea Smoothie:   (1 scoop of Orgain Vanilla Protein Powder, 1 cup baby spinach, 2 tbs. ground flaxseeds, 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, 2 frozen bananas, 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk and 1 tsp. matcha green tea powder.)

Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie:  (1 scoop of Orgain Vanilla or Chocolate Protein Powder, 1 cup baby spinach, 2 tbs. ground flaxseeds, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, 2 frozen bananas, 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk and 1 tbs. raw cacao powder.)

Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie:  (1 scoop of Orgain Vanilla or Chocolate Protein Powder, 1 cup baby spinach, 2 tbs. ground flaxseeds, 1-2 tbs. peanut or other nut butter, 2 frozen bananas, 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk.)

For each smoothie, blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth and the consistency of a thin, soft serve ice cream.   Drink slowly and enjoy!  (You may substitute kale or other greens for the spinach, chia seeds for the flax or any other plant milk for the almond milk.)




III.  BOOKS

 1.  How Not to Die by Dr. Michael Greger (Not only do I love his short, informational YouTube videos, but this book is really helpful in figuring out which foods are most nutritious and how much of each we should have per day for optimal health.  I love checking things off, so I'm enjoying using the app for Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen.  I know which whole foods to eat during the day to feel healthy and satisfied.)

2.  Crazy Sexy Diet and Crazy Sexy Kitchen by Kris Carr (I love Kris so much!!!  Not only do I love her hilarious, loving, crazy interesting, healthy book, but her attitude and spirit are incredibly positive and inspiring.  Just reading her book makes me feel healthier!  You should follow her Facebook and Instagram, too...they make me smile all day!  I bought her new Self Care for Busy People meditation album and it's changed my life.  The "Pep Talk" meditation is my favorite.  I cried the first time I listened to it.  You will feel loved.  Believe me!)


3.  The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide by Francine Jay (If you're interested in learning more about minimalism, this is the book for YOU!  So easy and enjoyable to read...plus, it's like watching Hoarders in order to get motivated to clean your house.  I like the short sections and practical approach to clearing out your life.  Definitely a must read!)

4.  The Little Book of Mindfulness:  10 Minutes a Day to Less Stress, More Peace by Patrizia Collard (The perfect book to carry around or keep in your purse.  All of the suggestions are not only practical, but also easy to incorporate into your day.  I love that each one takes only 10 minutes or less.  I bought this book in Kindle form, but I'm going to buy it to keep with me.  For someone with anxiety, it truly helps me.)


IV.  YOUTUBE CHANNELS

1.  NutritionFacts (If you like facts and like to keep "in the know" with nutrition information, this channel is for you.  They're short, full of facts and helps me to keep on track with eating healthy, whole foods and less vegan junk food)

2.  Wifelife (I love make up and, even though I'm not super skillful at applying it, I love watching other people show me how!  Rhian is dryly hilarious and she gets me excited to try new vegan, cruelty free beauty products.  I also appreciate her mental health videos - supportive and caring.  Get comfy in your fav chair with a cup of tea and watch lots of videos in a row for fun and relaxation.)


3.  Pick Up Limes (Sadia is amazing.  Lovely and inspiring - her videos are so well made and she packs lots of information into small, easy to digest segments.  Her recipes are yummy and it's as if you have a personal life coach supporting you via video.  I wish I hadn't watched multiple videos a day because it's best to watch them one per day to get you through the week.  Highly recommended!)

4.  World of Vegan  (Michelle is so much fun to watch!  Her smile and enthusiasm are addictive.  She shares videos full of new vegan foods, recipes and products, as well as information on veganism and activism.  If you're new to the vegan world, definitely subscribe to her channel!)

Hope you find some of these favorites interesting and try a few of them!  I'd love to know what your favorites are, too!

Have a wonderful, fantastic day!

Many hugs! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment